2000 Lifetime Achievement Awardee
Shay Pendray, certified in canvas work by the Embroiderers’ Guild of America, is a teacher, lecturer, designer, host of the PBS TV show “Needle Arts Studio,” author of four books, owner of retail shop, production company and manufacturer/distributor of needlework products.
Shay brings her vast knowledge and experience to PBS Television, appearing as the host and executive producer of the long running and successful series PBS series “Needle Arts Studio” filmed at Detroit Public Television.
Shay has studied Japanese Embroidery for over 18 years. She has had the privilege of studying with four different Sensi (teacher) in Japan. Shay has had the honor to study with Kiju Funkuda, Living National Treasure of Japanese Embroidery in Japan. She was the driving force in bringing Japanese Embroidery to the United States and has many students in this technique from around the world.
- Stitching Toward Perfection (self published)
- Shay Pendray’s Needle Craft Projects
- Needleworker’s Companion
- Shay Pendray’s Inventive Needlework
- The National Needlework Association TEN Award
- The National Academy of Needle Arts “Lifetime Achievement Award”
- DMC Teacher of the Year
- ANG Literary Award
- NAWBO Top 10 Business Women in 2000 in the State of Michigan
- Life Membership in the Embroiderers’ Guild of America